Monday 4 May 2015

Stop to smell the roses.

Firstly I just want to say sorry for my complete absence from the blog lately. I have been taking time out to really focus on Ollie and embrace our time together. 

I mentioned in a previous post I got tickets for  a mindfulness workshop and myself and Billy attended it in March. It focused on mindfulness with parenting and really helped me to become more aware of the present moment, not to be anxious about the future or regretful for the past. 

As adults we are looked at as the teachers to children and to set a good example yet it is children who show us how to embrace the present moment. Our little ones are determined, they don't give up until they get what they want and they see the beauty and wonder in the world that we have become so accustomed and blinded to. They teach us to live every day to the fullest.

So lately I have been spending a lot of time with Ollie outdoors and learning from him. We do yoga, we have our breakfast in the veggie patch (when it's not raining) and mostly we play 😊.His latest hobby is smelling every single flower he sees. When we are out walking he picks all the dandelions and daisies, I'm trying to teach him not pick "planted" flowers. Even with the dandelion, which is basically a weed, he takes a long sniff and says WOW. Our cherry blossom tree bloomed in the last week and the fragrance off the flowers is so beautiful. That tree has been in the garden for years and I don't think I ever really even saw it! One aspect of mindfulness is beginners mind which is basically seeing the world through a child's eyes. 

Im really going to try and practice this on a daily basis. Our little ones have so much to show us and open our eyes to the important things in life. I'm going to make a big effort also to post more regularly on this but I keep the Mayalu Facebook page updated more quite often so check that out.

Rachael xx

No comments:

Post a Comment